[tlug] NAS RAID advice

I'm wondering about this (or similar), Buffalo RAID1 NAS
  http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00620MD48/
 (2TB for 21,180 yen)
 (4TB for 28,693 yen)

Versus something like this, Rack System network RAID case:
  http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009DQIPEU/
 (12,090 yen)
 (then 2TB x 2 disks for about 7,700 yen each)

So, it seems to be similar cost. Would I get a better product by fitting
my own disks? And, on the other side, is this a trivial setup (slap the
disks in, switch it on, press "raid 1 please", come back in half an hour
after it has formatted itself), or a full-day of hard work?

Alternative recommendations, in the 20-30,000 yen range, are warmly welcome.

I cannot find any specifics [1], but I assume in either case I will just
use samba client to access it from Linux? This is to replace an ageing
linux-hosted samba file server.

Darren

[1]: English info on the Buffalo model (or something close):
 http://www.amazon.com/BUFFALO-LinkStation-Performance-Network-Attached/dp/B0048L62I6/ref=pd_cp_e_3

Aha, a linux user review here:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R33Z8CWLHXI4T2/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0048L62I6&nodeID=172282&store=electronics