Re: [tlug] Resources for learning Haskell

On 30 March 2013 09:35, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> On 2013-03-29 18:05 +0100 (Fri), Josh Glover wrote:
>
>> ...Scheme, Clojure, and Scala (which, as Curt noted, has many things
>> stolen from^W^W in common with Haskell)...
>
> Actually, a lot of that stuff in turn comes from Miranda[1], to
> which Haskell owes a huge debt (Miranda might even be thought of as
> "pre-Haskell"), and that in turn takes a fair number of ideas (most
> noteably, perhaps, the Hindley-Milner typing system) from ML[2], which
> in turn owes quite a lot to ISWIM.

Interesting. I haven't messed with ML, save flipping through my copy
of "The Little MLer". :)

> You may find it useful first to work through _The Little Schemer_[4] by
> Daniel Friedman.

I own, have read, and absolutely love "The Little Schemer"! I read
that, then "The Scheme Programming Language", then some of SICP before
trying to use Scheme for real.

Of course, Clojure ended up becoming my Lisp of choice, as the JVM
environment is what we use at work.

Thanks so much for all the detailed information. It was just what I
was hoping for when posting this question!

Cheers,
Josh