Re: [tlug] memcached / alternatives

On 01/17/2013 04:46 PM, Miles Colman wrote:
Hi TLUG,
I wrote earlier about SSDs, but I should have asked a simpler question.

I read a little bit about linux's automatic caching of files that are
regularly accessed, but it seems to be turned off at my company. At
least, most of our systems show free memory in the performance monitor
(and 'in use as cache' shows up there). Should I dive right in to
memcached to try and cache files and see if things are faster? or is
there something else I should look at first?

If you are going to look at memcached I would look at varnishd[1], or redis[2].

1. https://www.varnish-cache.org/
   http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1814327
2. http://redis.io/

Edward