Re: [tlug] handling ZIP files with local filename encodings (Shift_JIS) on Linux

Hi,

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 16:37:40 +0900
Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
> For some time I have been fighting with a design constraint of the ZIP
> file format - filenames are stored in "local" encoding by default. So
> on Windoze systems in Japan that happens to be Shift_JIS...
> The source of those files is outside my control, so using other formats is NG.

 Yes, we know about and annoy it, however unzip upstream doesn't care about it,
 and once I asked to unzip package maintainer in Debian but he rejected it since
 he doesn't want to add patch that is not included in upstream (so same thing
 to Ubuntu, we Ubuntu Japanese team provides old and patched unzip package for
 users).

> Is there any other more intelligent way of doing it?
> Any simple apps that do this properly? (prefer CLI)

 Using patched unzip/7z is a solution for this. However, if you would patch
 to unzip, you should use old one (or make it can be applied to unzip 6).

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/org
 http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane