Re: [tlug] handling ZIP files with local filename encodings (Shift_JIS) on Linux

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
> For some time I have been fighting with a design constraint of the ZIP
> file format - filenames are stored in "local" encoding by default. So
> on Windoze systems in Japan that happens to be Shift_JIS...

> So far this approach works (I think I had a problem only once, but
> forgot details), it is a bit tedious and I don't want to simply script
> it, ignoring the test run.

Perhaps it was a character that isn't in Shift_JIS? If you have
Windows31-J or CP932 as options, they'd be better used as they are
supersets of Shift_JIS.
You'd see errors with tildes or dashes, IIRC.

Can't help with the zip issue, the only similar work I've done was
converting filenames on a mounted drive, not application-level.

--
--Richard Frankum