Re: [tlug] Dying Monitor?: Bulged Caps?

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:01:12 +0900, pjacobs@example.com wrote:

> Obviously not a Linux-specific question, ...

Then make it so by saying that you use the monitor with
a computer running Linux and further confuse the issue
by wondering if it is a driver issue.

> I've got a Samsung SyncMaster 245B external monitor ...

1920x1200 is nice.

> ... that has started acting rather strangely.

> Has anyone ever seen such behavior with external
> monitors?

Yes. I have experienced wierdness with multiple LCD monitors.

I would open them up and find bulged electrolytic capacitors[1]
(caps). I would replace them and then the monitor would work
reliably.

I have encountered six LCD monitors of various brands that were
wierd or consistently dead. All six had bulged caps. After
replacing the bulged caps, all six monitors worked reliably.

> Is it anything perhaps easily repairable by either myself or
> perhaps a shop, or something I can try?

That depends on your skills. You need to know how to solder.
You also need to have good skills at figuring out
mechanical stuff. The hardest part of replacing bad caps on
LCD monitors is figuring out how to get the bezel off without
damaging things. Patience is a virtue. From the time I start,
to the time it's all back together, it usually takes me about
half an hour to replace bad caps. The first time, it took me
much longer, mostly to figure out how to get the bezel off
without damaging anything.

> Is this my monitor's way of
> telling me it's dying a slow death?

Probably.

I suspect bulged caps the most, but there are multiple
possible causes for your problem. Intermittent connections
and updated drivers are other possible causes. Before opening
up the monitor and looking for bad caps, it would be prudent
to eliminate other causes by using your monitor with other
computers using other operating systems connected with other
cables. Also try using a different input on your monitor (VGA
versus DVI). Be sure that the computer is driving the
external display.

Patience in getting the bezel off will be the hardest part.
Cover the panel itself near the bezel with plastic wrap,
like "Saran wrap", to protect it from scratches such as
from finger nails.

It it turns out that you have bulged caps as suspected,
use Japanese brand low ESR caps. Nichicon caps are good.

If your monitor is really dead, consider the following.

   http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/07/the-ips-lcd-revolution.html

[1] https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=bulged+caps
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague