Re: [tlug] Wine issues

Salut,

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 23:03:06 +0200
Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:

> I have Ubuntu 12.04, and Wine 1.4. I have trouble playing Diablo II (it
> seemed more stable a couple of years ago)

I think it would be a better idea to ask in a wine reated irc channel
or mailinglist. As this requires very specialized knowledge.

> The issues:
> 1) Wine changes the colormap, so for instance Firefox cannot show correct
> colors
> (nvidia card).

This sounds very strange. The times of colour maps are over.. have been for
over 10 years. I don't know of any system that still uses <24bits/pixel.
Hence it should not be possible for wine to mess with the colours of
firefox. It actually sounds more like a bug in the nvidia driver.

> 2) Sound: Crackling noises appear after the game worked for some time. In
> fact, it
> becomes unusable. Interesting, my desktop became correct again after around
> 24 hours
> just now (with no reboot, and not yet restarting Wine)...

Sounds like a software/hardware error that is fixed by initialization.
Could be again a driver bug. Does it screw the sound of only wine applications
or does it affect other non-wine applications as well?

> 3) Impossible to resize the window with this game. And it is very small on
> new hardware,
> as you can understand.

This can be a limitation of the wine directX code.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin