Re: [tlug] Skype & PaX

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:16:19AM +0900, Ross Cavanagh wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>

>     ...the Fedora rpm
>     installs more easily might be
>     Fedora's doing, rather than Skype's.  Previously, on 64 bit systems, one
>     had to manually get a lot of the
>     32 bit libs, now one can download the 32 bit rpm, run yum install
>     <rpm_name> and it fetches all that's needed.
>

> Just a quick note on that, is it yum install <rpm_name> or yum localinstall
> <rpm_name>
>
> I thought yum install will try and fetch the particular package from the repo,
> rather than the locally d/loaded rpm.

And I'm glad you asked.  I should have specified that that is one more
little thing making it easier.  From what I understand, one no longer
needs to use localinstall --nogpgcheck.  (Not sure about the gpgcheck,
maybe skype's gpg was OK).

In other words, I downloaded the skype-4.0.0.7-fedora.i586.rpm

I then did a cd to the directory where I downloaded it.

I then ran

yum install skype-4 (at that point I hit the tab key, which completed
the name of the rpm)

It then downloaded all the necessary i686 libraries.  As I understand
it, localinstall is no longer necessary. I'm not 100 percent certain of
that, but it seems to be the case, judging from my experience with this
locally downloaded rpm.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6