Re: [tlug] narisumashi mail?

Hello,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:

> I have a couple of yahoo.co.jp accounts, mainly for testing. One just
> said "このメールは、なりすましメールの可能性があります". Looking up なり
> すまし it defined it as the username/password may have been stolen, so
> someone may be using the account who is not the real holder.

This is a real world of narisumasi:
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20120608-00000510-san-soci

Ms. 菊地直子 lives under the name 櫻井千鶴子, which is not hers.

> That made
> no sense - it could apply to any email account on the internet.

Because the Japanese tries to explain narisumasi me-ru in simple way,
and some correctness must be traded off for simplicity.

> Their help link goes here:
>  http://help.yahoo.co.jp/help/jp/ymail/anti-spam/anti-spam-31.html

This could be a cause of being classified as narisumasi.

But if you could send the mails' headers here, we can judge technically.

> I skimmed it, and still didn't really get it. I *think* it is saying it
> shows that warning when someone is using a from address that is an
> @yahoo.co.jp email address, but they did not use the web interface (or
> an SMTP server that requires a login - do Yahoo offer that?)

However, this is what google's mail judge an email as *spam*
- Originated IP of the email is in a blacklist.

and judges and email as *phising* if "From:" field in email header has
no relation with the IP/domain
he mail comes from (I guess)

And I think mail.yahoo.co.jp's scoring systems handles in the same way.

mail.yahoo.co.jp supports SMTP
(http://help.yahoo.co.jp/mail/mailsoft/mailsoft-01.html)

And a mail sent using yahoo's SMTP but the From: field does not
include yahoo.co.jp,
I think it could be judged narisumasi.

Just some guess :) I think sysadmins who work with mail servers will
have more accurate answers.

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu [aka: NVH] ( in Vietnamese: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )

Disclaimer: When posted to social networking groups include, but not limited
Linux Users' Groups,
Free and Open Sources forums, mailing lists, the above is my personal
opinion and is *not*
the opinion of my employer(s), associations and/or groups I join.