Re: [tlug] Flash Memory History & BIOS Durability (or lack thereof)

On 04/29/2012 11:52 AM, Lyle H Saxon wrote:
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Kalin KOZHUHAROV<me.kalin@example.com>  wrote:
PC XT (i8088 or i8086 based), PC AT (i80386, i80486), and some (not
sure if Pentums were counted as AT), had BIOS in ROM and no upgrades
meant erasing with UV and reprogramming with a ROM programmer.
CMOS has always been there AFAIR and there was always a battery to
keep at least the RTC.

Okay.  Thanks!  I see I should have researched things a bit more before posting!

There was a bit of a controversy when flash roms were introduced because it meant you could potentially plant viruses in the BIOS and they would be pretty hard to detect & remove. Obviously this wasn't possible with a EPROM[1].

Edward

1. Obviously the manufacturer could.