Re: [tlug] Current practices for Linux partioning?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 02:16:53PM -0700, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> As I prepare to upgrade my Envy 15 from Win 7 to Linux, what your
> thoughts around partitioning? Should I hold my nose and make a / big
> enough to contain /usr, or should I Do Things The Way I've Always Done
> Them, which is this partitioning scheme: [..]

For Debian upgrading to new major releases always worked for me, for
all other distros I do not trust upgrade recipes.

As a result my systems have 4 or 5 partitions of each 12GB.  Those
carry own distros/major versions, independently.
One of these carries the encrypted /home which gets mounted from the
distros.

To select which distro/version to boot I have one of the distros
maintain the MBR, the others have grub installed in their partition
and the MBR can start them using 'chainloader ..'.

Ofcourse, this style is probably not useful to the default desktop
user.  Yet nice to just install Fedora alphas in parallel to existing
systems without much worry about breaking things.

Christian