Re: [tlug] Am I the last to know?

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM, jrjohansson@example.com
<jrjohansson@example.com> wrote:
> Everyone seems to hate Ubuntu's desktop and Unity in particular, and I
> guess there might be some good arguments for it, but I for one
> actually like what Ubuntu has done for Linux as a desktop system. If
> you can actually put some time into getting used to how things is done
> in Unity it is actually working pretty well and it's a pretty
> productive environment I'd say. In particular I like the consistency
> they have brought to the desktop. I can all too easily remember a few
> years back when the Linux desktops was far less integrated and had a
> lot of loose ends and when inconsistency was the norm, and I don't
> feel very nostalgic about that...
>
> For someone who don't want to spends hours configuring and tweaking
> things, just sit down at the computer and get on with their work, I
> think Ubuntu has been, is, and will continue to be a great (the best)
> Linux distribution.

Well, no arguments about Ubuntu here, too.  Previously, I was running
Debian and I had heaps of problems.  More like annoyances...the type
of things you can tolerate but grumble a bit when it happens.  When I
switched over to Ubuntu, almost all of those problems went away.

As for the UI, there are so many to choose from, I sometimes wonder
whether Ubuntu did it just to set themselves apart and not because
there was a problem with the existing ones.  Or, at least, was there a
large enough problem to justify creating another competitor and not
helping the open source community by improving gnome, KDE, etc.

At the very least, we can still use Ubuntu with gnome, KDE, etc.  No
doubt new users will accept the default, so in time, Unity will become
more popular.  I just hope all this work on the interface doesn't
distract them from the OS below...

Ray