Re: [tlug] Favorite Linux laptops these days?

On Monday, April 2, 2012, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@example.com> wrote:

> I don't like the idea (a shortcoming of X, it seems) of having to logout
> of my session to switch between the discrete and integrated GPU.

X is able to handle multi-headed setups, so I would guess that the
shortcoming here is not of X, but of the window manager, which doesn't
know how to move whole desktops across displays.

I think there's something else going on here, Steve. The switchy-switchy stuff seems to not allow both GPUs to operate at once, so X can't use them both to drive heads.

Personally, I don't see the point of the whole thing, but maybe it makes sense for gamers.

JB, have you tried or considered just switching one or the other of the GPUs off in the BIOS? I'm running only on the nVidia, and am happy with the 2D performance.

--Josh

--
Cheers,
Josh