Re: [tlug] Browser/Font Question

Hi Jim,

On Monday, January 09, 2012 01:09 PM, Jim Breen wrote:
First, what do you see here: 直?
Do you see 十 over 目 with an L wrapper, or 十 over 目 with a long
stroke under it?  The former is the Japanese version of the glyph, and
the latter is the Chinese version. It's the one code-point (JIS: 36-30,
UCS 76f4).

Not sure if this helps, but this is odd...

On Ubuntu + Firefox, I can actually see both. I see the Chinese one by default if I open your e-mail. However, if I change the character encoding from the original to either EUC-JP or Shift-JIS, I can see the Japanese version. The original setting was UTF-8. I also see the Chinese version if I switch to Traditional Chinese (BIG5).

Thunderbird is also a bit bizarre (since I POP my e-mail). I see the Chinese one only by default and changing the encoding to any one of EUC-JP, Shift-JIS, or ISO2022-JP doesn't help...it's all gibberish.

I guess if you specify in e-mails and web pages to use the Japanese encodings, that would help. By default, both opens your message assuming UTF-8 and that's how it appears. If there isn't another code for the Japanese variant in UTF-8, I suppose this means you have to use EUC-JP, etc.?

Ray