[tlug] Browser/Font Question

I thought I'd ask here, because there are some clued-up people on
the list who will understand my question, and maybe have an answer.

First, what do you see here: 直?
Do you see 十 over 目 with an L wrapper, or 十 over 目 with a long
stroke under it?  The former is the Japanese version of the glyph, and
the latter is the Chinese version. It's the one code-point (JIS: 36-30,
UCS 76f4).

On my Ubuntu system (via WWWJDIC) Firefox and Chrome show the
Chinese version, Opera shows the Japanese. Most GUI apps (OO, EBView,
etc.) show the Chinese form. Gnome terminal and kterm show the Japanese.
My Android phone shows the Chinese in all apps.

On Windows XP, Firefox show the Japanese, and IE the Chinese.

No fiddling with font settings changes the behaviour. Setting the
"lang" attribute in the <html> header doesn't make a difference
(although it does change the font used by Firefox.)

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make the Japanese appear
more often? Why FF can get it right in Windows and wrong in Linux?

[For Android, it appears that 'Droid phones are shipped with a Japanese
font to Japan, and a Chinese font elsewhere. You have to root the phone
and change the system font file to get it to change.....]

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University