Re: [tlug] KDDI vs. NTT for Land Line Internet Access

Lyle H Saxon writes:

 > They never reach advertised maximums it seems, but apparently it's a
 > bit faster than NTT.

Not so fast.

I've been fortunate that the Minister of Finance is willing to spring
for good technology, so I've generally been a little ahead of the
average technology in Tsukuba.  When I had a 28.8 modem, I got
advertised speeds most of the time (~25Kbits/sec, ie, pushing
2.5KB/s).  Since then, it's always started at about 90% of rated (ADSL
depends on distance, and I was about 1km from the NTT office, so that
was about 80% of the advertised 1Mbit/sec), and then gone downhill
from there.

Fiberoptic isn't supposed to do that, but did anyway.  Tests show that
error rates (including dropped packets) go up over time, so my
assumption is that routers get overloaded (or are merely poorly
configured).

Bottom line: expected degraded performance as more people get the
service.