Re: [tlug] Light to control over Wifi

> What I was kind of hoping for was some kind of ready made device that
> either is a light or can have lights plugged into it. Or a screen.
> Something where I can focus on interface protocols, and not on
> soldering irons.
>
> So, I guess there's nothing like that?

I think you've missed suggestion on X10. With X10, timer thing can be done with

  1. Plug it in.
  2. Run following command from Linux:
      $ br -v -x /dev/ttyUSB1 -c A -n 2 # parameter depends on actual setup
      $ sleep 123
      $ br -v -x /dev/ttyUSB1 -c A -f 2

That is all. I think even Android device can do this if USB host port
is available.

Now, if you want full-color modulation or any other complex stuff,
it'd be probably better to build it yourself. Ready-made, programmable
full-color lamps are simply too expensive as they're for high-end,
entertainment market.

After reviewing your original post, I think easiest way is to buy old,
junk notebook PC with serial/parallel port, install Linux, enable
WiFi, and use these ports to do whatever control needed. For
full-color modulation, additionally buy following kit:

3-channel RGB LED Controller Kit
- http://akizukidenshi.com/catalog/g/gK-04076/

Connect to it with serial cable, and you now have WiFi-enabled
full-color lamp with 0 soldering. Of course, some software development
is needed, through.