[tlug] Apple vs. FSF and gcc 4.2.1

I've heard in a few places that Apple did not like GPL v3, and that this
is why later versions than gcc 4.2.1 are not supported on the Mac.

I just have this image of two stubborn stags who have locked horns and
are refusing to give in. Meanwhile the other stags are going round them
and getting on with the mating... Stubborn stags don't get to pass on
their genes to the next generation.

It is bad for Apple as more and more open source is moving on and not
working on Macs any more. (Especially once C++11 becomes more widespread.)

And it is bad for open source as software gets less reach, or developers
have to waste time keeping the Mac version running by supporting more
compiler versions.

Is anyone following this issue, and perhaps has a more balanced or
pragmatic view? (You know what open source advocates are like - for a
balanced viewpoint I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them ;-).

Darren