Re: [tlug] Disposing of a hard drive: Paranoid and Reasonable

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:24:59 +0900, Martin G <ebisumartin@example.com> wrote:

> ... I really wanted to talk about was disposing of my old,
> faulty drive.

> ... I'm paranoid and so I want to
> make sure the data is truly destroyed before disposing it.

OK. Since you are paranoid, let's make it clear that we are not
talking about what is reasonable.

> Is there a slick and smooth way to destroy a drive so that I can be
> 100% sure it will not reveal my secrets ever again?

Not slick and smooth, but rough and ready.

Disassemble the drive, remove the platters, then sand each side of
each platter. Then melt the platters or just grind them to dust.

If you want to be reasonable, blunt trauma works. Stephen's rock,
or Maxwell's silver hammer both work quite well but Occam's razor
less so. If there is a high place from which you can drop it without
hurting anyone, dropping it would be interesting. The platters are
glass, so if you can hear pieces rattling around afterward,
you have likely succeeded. There are also shredders that grok beer
cans to Buicks that can also make short work of this. Be sure to
take video and post it in Ogg.