Re: [tlug] How to proceed with RAID drive failure: diagnosing

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 01:42:19 +0900, Martin G <ebisumartin@example.com> wrote:

> I think this means that one of my drives is dead. So, my questions are:
>
> If I open up the computer to pull out the dead drive, how can I tell which
> of the physical units is the bad one?

Boot a live disk, such as but not limited to Knoppix V6.4.4 DVD,
and ask about the health of each drive, with a command something
like:

   # for file in /dev/[hs]d[abcd]; do smartctl -a $file >>smartctl.stdout;done

By the way, there is the _possibility_ that the hardware of all your
hard drives is OK, that the problem lies elsewhere.