Re: [tlug] Gnome 3

On 12.5.2011 8:05, Christian Horn wrote:
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:17:45PM +0900, Raedwolf Summoner wrote:
Has anybody tried Gnome 3 yet? Any comments or warnings? Likes/dislikes?
I was completely on WindowMaker the last 10 years, yet I use Gnome3 on one of
my 3 most frequently used desktops since 3 months.  Its the first windowmanager
after WindowMaker that did stay so long; the workflow the Gnome devs had in
mind is not far away from what I found efficient.

Looking at it with Gnome2 in mind its a big change thou, curious on how many
people will even just give Gnome3 a try and how many features will be ported
back from Gnome2 world to get more of the old behaviour.

gnome-tweak-tool allows tuning of some things.

Christian

Hey there,

i was trying gnome3 on Archlinux lately so here are my two cents. I should also mention that i normally use tiling wms so i'm probably looking at gnome from different perspective than people using more mouse centric window managers.

Generally i'm very pleased with the new gnome - it's stable and it doesn't get in your way too much. Controlling it with mouse is pretty smooth meaning you can easily switch between open windows and virtual desktops in a way that doesn't clutter your usual working screen with unnecessary controls/widgets.

You can also use the keyboard to switch applications or desktops but this is pretty similar to gnome2 or other wms i think. You can start applications by pressing the 'win' key (by default) and typing their name which i use a lot.

One thing i don't like is switching between multiple windows of the same application - when you press 'alt+tab' you can switch between the applications but to switch between different windows you need to select the application, press 'down arrow' and then use 'left, right arrows'. So its pretty uncomfortable to switch between multiple terminals for example. Maybe there's a better way?

Another thing i don't like is that the virtual desktops have to follow each other. You don't have a preconfigured number of desktops to start with as you start with one clean desktop and when you open something there you will be given a new clean desktop following it. This is somewhat annoying for me as i'm used to have certain applications on certain desktops so i always know where to find them.

The last thing is that i wasn't able to set a chat account that is accessible in the top right corner but maybe i just didn't try hard enough.

So to sum it up gnome3 feels really smooth and comfortable for me and it has all the necessary things i would expect from a desktop environment. I think i like it the most compared to other DEs or mouse centric wms - it has a nice combination of usefulness and eye candy. But in the end i will definitely continue using a tiling window manager.

cheers,
ondra