Re: [tlug] Trouble with Japanese input on a new install

David J Iannucci writes:

 >    LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8" firefox
 >
 > Yup. Go figure.

Ah, that actually makes sense.  I haven't looked at the standard
recently, but ISTR that that is the locale variable that controls this
kind of thing.  But the input method protocols were always "more
honored in the breach".

 > I hate the black-magic-ness of all this.

Black, maybe, but it's probably not magic, just typical office app
"you don't want to know, and even if you do, we're too busy working on
our logo in six different sizes and color schemes so we're not going
to document it" attitude.