[tlug] Trouble with Japanese input on a new install

I'm only bugging you guys out of a certain desperation... :-}

I have a newly-installed Gentoo machine that has very similar hardware
and a similar configuration to another less-newly-installed one. On the
latter, Japanese input (with ibus) is working fine. On the former, I
can't do input in Firefox or Thunderbird, the two I need it most for.

Funny thing is, I can see that ibus itself seems to be working
correctly, it's just that it won't "activate" when I focus input in text
fields in FF or TB. In my past experience, these apps are the ones that
are *least* problematic when it comes to getting them to accept J.
input, so this case is particularly 不思議。I tried installing scim as well,
but no better luck. It really seems to be related to the configuration
or build parameters for the two apps. I also checked locale stuff...
doesn't seem to make a difference.

I think this is ultimately a Gentoo problem, and I have consulted their
forums, but no (useful) response yet, after a couple days, and I'm not
hopeful about getting one.

Anyone here have any (even vague) clues that might help?

Thanks a lot.

Dave