Re: [tlug] Trouble with Japanese input on a new install

Hi David,

On 19/04/11 09:38, David J Iannucci wrote:
I'm only bugging you guys out of a certain desperation... :-}

I have a newly-installed Gentoo machine that has very similar hardware
and a similar configuration to another less-newly-installed one. On the
latter, Japanese input (with ibus) is working fine. On the former, I
can't do input in Firefox or Thunderbird, the two I need it most for.

Anyone here have any (even vague) clues that might help?

I hate it when this happens -- when you have two Linux machines and you want one to have the same functionality as the other... Is the OS version identical?

Out of desperation, I usually just do a list of all the packages in one machine and install all of them on the other. And then diff the /etc files one-by-one with a script. Not a great idea and maybe you've thought of it already...

It could also be a user setting. Something in your ~/.* files. Since it is a new machine, you probably don't care so much about what is in your ~/ directory -- maybe you can copy all of the ~/.* files over?

Hope you solve your problem!

Ray