Re: [tlug] (slightly OT) Net connectivity during power outage

Hi Kalin,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Kalin KOZHUHAROV <me.kalin@example.com> wrote:
> Yup, I have one, will be digging for another. I have a few
> walkie-talkies and a 50/144/433MHz amateur portable transceiver.
> However, this is _WAY_ less than the Net. Plus, I cannot keep in
> contact with other friends in Tokyo as well as in Bulgaria.

Yeah, radio is just an alternative but not as good as the Net -- I
agree.  I mean, ignoring the fact that we're foreigners, Japanese also
need to get information from the tv, net, etc.

However, I guess this rolling blackout is the only way to do it.  How
else are you going to get those pachinko parlors to turn off those
lights for a bit?  :-)

> Use 76.1MHz for a start. Make sure your radio has this band. It turned
> out that (all) two of my players don't have it...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_band#Japanese_bandplan

*doh*  It doesn't have it...  I'll scan the channels, then.  Thanks
for the tip, though!

> Keitais will likely be quite disrupted/overloaded again, the Net was
> the only useful media since the quake hit, that is why I want it by
> all means.

Keitai mail and SMS worked for me through most of Friday.  Not as
reliable as the Net, but I could send most messages by the third try.

Another idea is that a co-worker of mine had a PHS phone.  And it
worked flawlessly for him.  I don't understand much about PHS phones
and why that is, though, but that's another option.

Ray