Re: [tlug] Browser share in Japan?

Hi Darren,

On 03/11/2011 09:55 AM, Darren Cook wrote:
Does anyone freely publish browser market share for just Japan? Either
some company collating lots of results, or analysis for a big site.
Stats for Yahoo Japan would be just perfect! (Being open source, I
thought ja.wikipedia.org might publish log analysis, but I couldn't find
anything.)

I know this helps you very little (maybe even not at all?), but I came across this paper just now:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.68.6279

Title is "A study of mobile search queries in Japan".

Some of the papers that it cites or papers that cite it might lead you in the right direction -- including information about Korea and China.

I know this is an active research area but usually this data isn't public for privacy reasons. Based on the paper's acknowledgments, it seems the authors knew someone in Yahoo...

If your reasons are valid, it might be possible for Yahoo Japan to provide you aggregated form of the data. You would have to sell your reason to them. For this paper, I can at least guess that maybe Yahoo benefits because someone they trust is able to analyze their data for them and then they can better target their search engine.

Ray