Re: [tlug] cacert question

On 25/02/11 15:52, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
  >  Well, I'm not trying to defend Microsoft [really, I am a
  >  Linux user and not a spy :-) ], but many Microsoft-haters
  >  aren't aware of the work that comes out of Microsoft
  >  Research.

That isn't a problem on this list, since about half of us are Simon
Peyton-Jones fans. :-)

Ah! Good to know ... now I know why my first mention of Microsoft didn't draw any hisses and boos. :-)

  >  never having met each other.  And if C was somehow slack,
  >  then the web is only as good as the weakest link.

Not true.  First, web of trust membership is not off-on, it's
quantitative (although perhaps not precise).

Second, it's additive: in

V           V

A may trust E more than C (depending on how she feels about B and D).

The idea in webs of trust is that many non-overlapping paths give a
pretty strong degree of trust.

I see; didn't think of that. Thank you for explaining this to me! I'll sit on it a bit, but I think I got it.

Ray