Re: [tlug] cacert question

Hi Kalin, Darren, and Stephen,

Thank you for the follow-up. Up until now, I've been blissfully unaware of how this works within my browser. After Taisuke's talk about CAcert, I began to wonder how they differ and why one is better than the other.

On 24/02/11 10:40, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
  >  Normally, to bill a credit card, they would need our signature; a
  >  web-based transaction bypasses this requirement so perhaps credit
  >  card companies have a say in how companies offer this service?
That's false.  Long before the Internet, you could order goods by
phone, and that is still a common way for criminals to launder stolen
accounts because they can easily block the phone number.

Ah, that's true. And perhaps it wasn't that long ago; I remember doing it. I guess with the Internet, I have quickly forgotten about it.

  >  Would I be correct in saying that there is no special requirement to
  >  be a Root CA issuer?

That's trivially correct, since anyone can self-sign.

Being a Root CA is like being a Lloyds "name".  The important thing is
that you have a fixed address and a well-known phone number to call
when somebody wants to sue you.

Yes, that is what I thought an advantage of a Root CA would be.

IMHO, that's also an "advantage" of proprietary software like Windows [probably not a good thing to say on this list ;-) ]. Despite its many problems, I guess it gives many people the illusion that you can sue them...much like what happened in the USA with Toyota. However, I guess the EULA wouldn't allow you to? Anyway, there is a fixed address, etc. for Microsoft as well and perhaps that's why some people still turn to it...

That's very not nice, actually.  As usual, the reason for avoiding
credit cards is 20% lack of trust in banks, and 95% being pretty sure
that what you're doing is illegal and/or subject to taxes you would
prefer to avoid paying.

Note that the main reason that Ozawa and his henchmen are not (yet) in
jail is that they were carrying around stacks of 10,000 1-man-en bills
in paper bags.  If this had been done with bank accounts instead of
cash, those guys would have been sharing cells with Horie (who did lie
and got what he deserved, I guess) and Murakami (who got jailed for
making money in the neighborhood of a liar -- there was no question of
"insider" information since the information was originally developed
by Murakami based on publicly available data).

Ah yes...perhaps I should trust credit cards a bit more. As for Ozawa, I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about him. I'm surprised the Japanese media can talk about one topic for so long... :-)

Hmmmm, all of your comments [not just Stephen's] still make me wonder (somewhat rhetorically) how browsers trust Root CAs in the first place. Surely along a long line of trust, there is some weak point somewhere. Someone who would reply when question, "What? My brother just said he was going to borrow my hanko for a few minutes." or something like that... :-)

Or put it another way, generally speaking, we hopefully trust our friends and maybe our friends' friends. But I think this trust drops after a few degrees of separation. It's somewhat strange in this case that we're still using the word "trust", but it doesn't diminish with distance...

Ray