Re: [tlug] Importing WiFi equipment

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM, Keith Bawden <keith@example.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 16:46, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
>> On 9 February 2011 00:44, Keith Bawden <keith@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The sticker does not mean it wont work in Japan. It means customs might confiscate when you try and bring or send it in.
>>
>> I seriously doubt customs would care.
>
> They *might* not, but I have looked into getting wireless devices
> shipped into the country before and they do care about that :-(.

My 2 yen :-) about this is that unless you're a citizen of the country
that you're going to, regardless of the visa you possess, you're a
guest.  You never have a right to enter that country.  So, IMHO, why
jeopardize it for a small electrical device -- even if it is a 0.001%
chance?  [Of course, I agree with most of you that Japanese customs
have other more important things to confiscate; and no dog AFAIK is
yet trained to sniff electrical devices.  ;-) ]

Actually, I returned to my home country once and after having checked
the box saying I had nothing to declare, I was pulled out and checked.
 Citizenship doesn't matter if you have a guilty look, it seems...
:-(  And no, they found nothing...  But sure feels better standing
there thinking, "Oh, you aren't going to find anything!" than "No,
no...don't look there!"  :-D

Ray