Re: [tlug] Importing WiFi equipment

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 16:46, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 9 February 2011 00:44, Keith Bawden <keith@example.com> wrote:
>
>> The sticker does not mean it wont work in Japan. It means customs might confiscate when you try and bring or send it in.
>
> I seriously doubt customs would care.

They *might* not, but I have looked into getting wireless devices
shipped into the country before and they do care about that :-(.

On a side note I did some consulting for New Era Cap[1] in a past life
and they were telling me that they periodically went out to Narita to
deliver training to customs staff so they could identify counterfeited
hats from China. I was surprised they cared enough about hats. Until I
found out that some of them sell for 5,000~20,000 a pop. The funny
thing was in the end they turned up at the airport and customs had a
metric shed load of hats for them to use as training aids. They, the
New Era Cap people, could not tell the hats apart and had to send some
back to the US to have the dye and stitching more closely examined to
identify the knock offs...

Regards, Keith

[1] http://www.neweracap.jp/