Re: [tlug] Great Git resources

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your comments!

On 08/02/11 13:45, Darren Cook wrote:
I hope this doesn't start a flame war :-), but in your own
words, can you explain why you are using Git as opposed to
(say) Subversion? ...

Good timing, as I've been meaning to blog on just this theme.
Also, moving from git from knowing svn is a much bigger learning curve
than moving from cvs to svn. BTW I cannot recommend the O'Reilly
"Version Control with Git" book; it might be good as a 2nd git book if
you've mastered it and now want to understand all the internals and
exotic commands. But, for teaching you just what you actually need to
know, it is quite confusing. Or git is just confusing. I've not used git
enough yet to comment on that :-)

Well, once nice thing about SVN was the move from CVS was quite easy. I guess that was the motivation for tools like git -- existing ones like SVN were still too similar to their predecessor.

And thanks for the warning about the O'Reilly book. Despite the mountains of information on the web, I'm a sucker for books and O'Reilly books in particular. That was on my "to buy" list. I'll certainly think twice before making the purchase -- thanks!

Ray