Re: [tlug] Great Git resources -- thanks!

Hi all,

Thank you all for your opinions!

Perhaps my situation is closest to Romeo's. I'm not doing sysadmin work, but I work in teams in size ranging from 1 person to...ohhhhh...1 person. :-) Sometimes it is more than that but for the most part, I don't have to worry about write locks.

What I disliked about CVS was how each file had a different version. Perhaps that was meant to give flexibility, but it was awfully confusing. Also didn't like the version numbers with decimals. So, SVN fixed my two biggest gripes.

Since I don't worry about sharing access, I use SVN mainly for backing up and in this sense, having a local repository is unimportant to me. What is important is whether my files are backed up. In this sense having a network or USB storage with any revision control system would satisfy my limited needs.

Perhaps my only reason for going to git is if development on Subversion stops. If it does happen in a few years, as you predict Stephen, then perhaps it would be better to go on my own terms... Given the number of you using it, I guess I don't want to be left behind... :-)

I'll at least install git and start off slowly since Subversion is satisfying my current needs...

Thank you all for your comments and enjoy the rest of this weekend!

Ray