Re: [tlug] Symbol#taguri= in Ruby

Josh Glover writes:
 > On 4 February 2011 07:58, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:
 >
 > > Perhaps if you didn't know Japanese and didn't know of
 > > Ruby's origins, you'd probably would see "tag uri"...  I

What's a "tag uri"?  No, I don't think I'd see that.  Obviously if I
didn't know Japanese I wouldn't necessarily think of asking if it was
a Japanese word, and the line-noise-like syntax suggested "core dump"
to me, so "stack trace" seemed entirely reasonable, as a guess.

 > > personally avoid the underscore in variable names to
 > > minimize two-key combinations.  :-)  [Smileys are always ok...]

If you use an editor that supports abbreviations and/or dynamic
completion, you save a very large number of keystrokes without
sacrificing readability.  This includes most of the underscores.  If
it supports paired characters, you can save one two-key combination
per "" or () or {} or [].  (Bonus points for knowing regexp
combinations so that entering \[ produces \[\], etc.)

Far be it from me to mention the *Name* of the Editor. ;-)

 > Perhaps.
 >
 > Not using underscores leads to misunderstandings like taguri, IMO.

Of course you could always use the language that truly great
programmers love, and get both identifier readability and one-key
"combinations"!

(let ((beloved (mapcar (lambda (x) (get x 'loved-language))
                       (filter #'greatp programmers))))
  (if (apply #'equal beloved)
      (first beloved)
    (error "great programmers don't agree!")))
=> 'lisp-ly y'rs,

P.S. You also get a compiler warning about accessing free variables as
a bonus!