Re: [tlug] Accessing a program running on a different computer

Hello Ray

Raymond Wan wrote:
Sometimes I have firefox running on a computer and then I want to access the computer remotely and see what text is written there and I can't. Of course, I can cheat because firefox (actually, iceweasel) has crash recovery so I just kill it and when I start it up again with "ssh -X", my tabs are restored... Would be nice to know how to see the screen remotely without having to kill the program...

For tasks like this, the "x11vnc" program might be useful:

http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/

I never used it myself, but the description sounds quite like what you are trying to achieve. Note, that this is not a VNC server providing a virtual X display, but a server that allows access to a real X display.

Peter