Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Suggestions for a smartphone with an SSH client?
- Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 14:14:13 +0900
- From: Eduardo Gonzalez <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Suggestions for a smartphone with an SSH client?
- References: <AANLkTin_6WKROP=23wwvKKyEHGJNMA9rsrt8zEcMp_Zp@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I have both an iPhone 3GS(Softbank) and an crappy HTC Magic(Docomo). Personally I find that Softbank and Docomo's network coverage (at least in Tokyo) doesn't change too much. Both kind of suck on the train. So I wouldn't worry about the network too much. > 1) iPhone or Android? I've probably spent more than $20 on iPhone SSH software and I hate all of them. ConnectBot is way better as an SSH client. It also supports port forwards (both ways and SOCKS), which I use quite often. My phone is an older one with a trackball though, so clicking it for Control is pretty easy. Not sure how it'll work with the newer phones. But since ConnectBot is open source you can change it to suit your needs. Protip: In Android you can also change the keyboard. One guy is working on a code editor for Android called Touchqode. It comes with a programming keyboard that works a little better than the standard one for SSH IMHO. > 2) If Android, which model? Docomo has a device that looks like a small Netbook called the LYNX. It might be a better 'phone' if it's mostly for browsing the web and doing SSH and email. I haven't used it yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it when my current contract ends later this year. Problem is the LYNX and the like are pretty customized so they might not get upgraded for a while. For a more regular device the Galaxy S is probably the best bet ATM. I have a feeling it'll get updated more regularly than the more customized phones. Even if it doesn't it'll be easy to root it and upgrade it yourself. Eduardo Gonzalez
- [tlug] Suggestions for a smartphone with an SSH client?
- From: Ian Barwick
- Re: [tlug] Suggestions for a smartphone with an SSH client?
- From: Attila Kinali
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Suggestions for a smartphone with an SSH client?
- Next by Date: [tlug] Reversing a YUI compressed file
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Suggestions for a smartphone with an SSH client?
- Next by thread: [tlug] PC Donations and wireless card/usb dongle plea
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links