[tlug] ibus-anthy in RHEL6

I use English most of the time, but still have use for Japanese, usually
in either openoffice or a UTF-8 capable terminal, e.g. uxterm.

Due to the demands of my job, I have to keep using RH/Fedora products.
(My preference is for more minimal systems, such as the BSDs or
ArchLinux.)

In Fedora, I can do the following.

Choose a minimal installation.
Install xorg afterwards, and openbox or fluxbox and also install
ibus-anthy.  Everything works as it should.

At work, we use CentOS rather than RH, but since RHEL6 came out
recently, I have been playing with the Scientfic Linux alpha builds.

In this case, I do a minimal install.  I then install X and fluxbox
and/or openbox--in both cases, there aren't packages available, I have
to build from source.

I install ibus-anthy.  It doesn't work.  If I do a default gnome-desktop
installation, it works.

I've tried this with a few different combinations and while the problems
vary--for example, if installing Gnome afterwards, uxterm doesn't work,
urxvt works gnome-terminal doesn't work, openoffice works, or possibly
doesn't--the upshot is that it doesn't work as expected.

With that overly long, I fear, prelude, my question is are any tluggers
using RHEL6 without Gnome, using a different, more minimal desktop, with
an English environment and using ibus-anthy successfully?

To risk sounding overly elite, it seems that the majority of folks who
use RH wind up using Gnome (or are sysadmins with no X at all), probably
because the sort of folks who prefer fluxbox or openbox use something
like Archlinux (where, by the way, ibus-anthy works perfectly.)

Scientific Linux uses ibus-anthy-1.2.1 whereas Fedora is using 1.2.5, so
that might be the issue, but if anyone does have a similar situation
with the actual RHEL 6, I'd be curious for their experience.

I haven't yet tried using the Fedora src.rpm--these things, especially
between Fedora and RH, can get messy.  I might try that, but it would be
nice if it worked out of the box as it should.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6