Re: [tlug] Softbank iPhone, what am I missing?

That is the basic plan.

What the website does not tell you is that if you get a smartphone
you WILL have to get the 4900Y (give or take a few hundred depending
on the specials they have going) a month internet plan to go along
with it.

The reason is simple, if you don't get the delux internet plan, then
your iPhone will eat you out of house and home on packet usage fees,
so they just make the customers get it up front.

1MB for a data plan is nothing for a smart phone.  You will likely go
through that on email alone, if you never surf the web.

If you have a budget of 6000/month for two people, then smart phones
are not the way to go.

If you go for a two year contract, they will work the cost of the
phone into your contract, but I would make sure to be careful about
the details of the data plan.   With a regular keitai, 1MB may be
fine, but for a smartphone, its not going to work so well.  The things
are basically tied to the web by their very nature.