Re: [tlug] [OT] Payment gateways in Japan.

On 12/24/2010 12:36 PM, Michael Reinsch wrote:

On 22/12/10 14:56, Edward Middleton wrote:
On 12/20/2010 10:28 PM, Paul McMahon wrote:
On 20 December 2010 17:20, Edward Middleton
<edward.middleton@example.com>    wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with using any of these payment gateways
for payment processing?  How easy are they to integrate with? Are there
other payment gateways you would recommend?

We've integrated with PayPal for Doorkeeper.  Our experience hasn't
been so pleasant from a technical standpoint, but Japanese seem to be
willing to pay by paypal (at least those with a technical background).

Would this be “PayPal Website Payments Standard” (PPWPS).

..
The reason why we are still using Website Payments Standard is that we
don't want to require our clients to hold a business account with
PayPal, as this requires a business entity in Japan.  And (at least for
now) we don't want to be in the middle, but allow transactions directly
from the buyer to the seller (seller being our client).

We are in the middle so this isn't an issue but Website Payments Standard looks like the quickest to implement. I haven't checked what is required to be PCI compliant if we use a gateway service where we pass credit card information to the gateway, but the ETA for setup seems to be 1-2 months. This does however, look like the more desirable approach.

We need payments from and to individuals, at a minimum we need support
for Japanese credit cards, paypal and eventually bank payments.  One
time payments is all we need at the moment.

Sounds like you are in a similar position as we are... if you like, we
can share the pain...

We are slightly different because we are in the middle, so we have to actually pay in and out.

Edward