Re: [tlug] Possible command to boost to laptop performance

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> You were right - having more memory made a huge difference.
>
> I have 1 GB now where there used to be half that. And now not only is
> switching between programs faster, as I thought it might be, but general
> operation is faster overall, which surprised me.

That was my reaction back some time ago with an old machine I was
using, and I've been a crusader for memory every since.  When
companies I've worked at refused to help out, I bought my own - not
liking having to spend my own cash on a rich corporation's old
hardware, but figuring I would just be happier using the thing with as
much memory in it as possible, and taking the memory (my share of it
that is) with me when that contract was over.

> The CPU spends less time managing data coming in and out of memory, and
> completes all operations faster.
>
> I feel like I have a new computer. Which is awesome, because I was on
> the verge of getting a new laptop, but now I feel I've got at least
> another year or two out of this one.
>
> Maybe by the time I'm looking for a new laptop, screen sizes won't suck
> as hard as they do now.

Ha-ha.  Yeah.  And however long you use the old one, the usage itself
will be a happier experience than otherwise.  I think - at the moment
- 1GB is a practical minimum for smooth computing with a desktop OS.
Probably that'll go up to 2GB or more before long, but for now, I'm
glad I can still use my old Hitachi and glad the extra memory worked
out for you.

Lyle