Re: [tlug] Dinky silent Linux box

On 03/12/2010 22:23, Romeo Theriault wrote:

Be interested in hearing what you eventually go with.

Having spent the day wandering round Akihabara, I am now pondering a Shuttle XS35GT + SSD. No fan, grunty NVidia ION2 graphics with decent linux support for 1080p decoding, space to add an optical drive later if I want to flesh out the media side of things, can take 2GB RAM.

It's small, cute, low power (~20W idle) and a quick google suggests various people are having success with Linux on it.

I looked in a few places, but "ark" had the best selection I found, various shuttle, ASRock, AOpen T2, ZBOX.

Looking at 20980 for the shuttle, + ~10k for a 60GB SSD, +3K ish for 2GB ram = around 34K JPY.

Would be interested in any (approving/horrified) reactions, I was about ready to drop some plastic there and then but gave myself a cooling-off period.. already spent too much earlier today :)

--
Jon