[tlug] When is a line feed really a line feed?

TLUG,

So, I'm trying to upload a tab delineated CSV to my favourite system for
flash cards for studying Japanese, Surusu (surusu.com).

Unfortunately, even though I have my cards all nicely formatted with
line breaks, when I upload them, all my line breaks disappear.

I contacted the author of the site to ask what line feed format his
system is expecting, and he said "\n".

I tried to make sure my CSV file uses \n as the new line character, but
it still isn't working.

It could be that there is something wrong on his end, but I can't
suggest that to him unless I know for sure I've got my ducks in a row.

I'm using Gedit to search and replace the line break characters, and
I've tried \n, \r, and \r\n. But the thing with Gedit is that they all
render invisibly, so it's hard for me to tell what form my line breaks
are being saved as. I fear there may be something about the document
encoding (utf-8, I believe) or something when I save it that might be
altering the format.

So, is there a sure fire way I can set up my CSV file so that it is
using \n for new lines? Like, rock solid sure so that either it works,
or if it doesn't I can say confidently to the other guy that the problem
might be his end?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G