Re: [tlug] Backup Software

> Alternatively, do you have any ideas for a good backup tool
> I can use to backup the contents of various linux machines & servers
> through the network?

When it comes to backups I always prefer to use simple, low-tech
tools, because when something fails or is missing when you need to
recover the backup, it becomes a nightmare.

My own solution:
* rsync everything from all the machines to a central backup server
  rsync goes over ssh, using a special backup user with a passwordless
  ssh key, and rsync is performed as root (top maintain users and
  perms) on the backup server via sudo and a wrapper script handled in
  .ssh/authorized-keys
* rsync everything from the central backup server to redundant
  secondary backup servers
* on each backup server, make snaopshots with rsnapshot
* everything runs with cron, and is monitored in munin
* everything on RAID1 redundant disks, no striping,lvm,...

No compression, no special diff format, simple, robust. Any file from
any past snapshot on any disk of any backup mirror is immediately
available.

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F