Re: [tlug] Worth coming to Japan before getting a job?

I'm wondering if we're being too dismissive of this without knowing
enough about the OP's situation.

Let's put the question the other way: Say the OP really wants to get a
job in Japan. What are his chances of landing one _without_ quitting
his current job and coming over here to look for it? I'm not really
familiar with the whole expat relocation scene, but on the face of it
getting transferred over here sounds like an exceedingly difficult
thing to do. Whereas coming over here, talking to a bunch of people
and getting a job sounds like - well - coming over here, talking to a
bunch of people and getting a job.

Clearly going from having a job to not having one is always going to
be a gamble, but if he's got enough money saved up to survive while he
looks, it doesn't sound horrendously reckless. You have to balance it
against the downside of _not_ doing what you want to in your life, and
ending up miserable. I think if it was me I'd be inclined to spend the
first few months on an intensive language course, which would be
useful in itself and give you the chance to find your feet and make
sure that you really do want to live here.

I think the key questions are how much you really want to live here,
and how much of a financial cushion you have in case it doesn't work
out.

--
Edmund Edgar
Founder, KK Social Minds