Re: [tlug] Where to get a "free" mp3 walkman in Japan

Hi guys,

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 22:38, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Andreas Kieckens
> <akieckens@example.com> wrote:
>> Does anybody know of a good mp3 player that is available in Japan and
>> allows you to manage your music without the need for additional software?

It really falls back to the interpretation of "manage"... but, I have
had a very good time with two different iRiver[1] players.
They both work as usb-storage, so you can just put your files (mp3 or
ogg) in the proper directory.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iriver

Both are already out of production (Clix2 and iFP-899), but I guess
there should be similar models now.
Look for a player that supports UMS[2]. Most models seem to have both
MTP[3] and UMS[2] firmware and you can choose/re-flash them.

[2]   UMS:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass_storage_device_class
[3]   MTP:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

My players have gone through a lot of abuse and I particularly favor
the one AA battery iFP-899 when I travel or in the mountains.
I have stepped on it a couple of times and replaced (for free!) the
battery door once (dropped it on a sharp rock).

They have them in Yodobashi and BicCamera, but check them on-line[4]
for the specs. N15 (or even the Swarovski version) might be a good
present for a girl, depending on her likes ;-)

[4]  http://www.iriver.jp/estore/new_product/

Cheers,
Kalin.