Re: [tlug] Where to get a "free" mp3 walkman in Japan

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Andreas Kieckens
<akieckens@example.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know of a good mp3 player that is available in Japan and
> allows you to manage your music without the need for additional software?

I'd like to know the same thing.  I think the music industry has
pressured hardware manufacturers to make their devices as closed as
possible, since it I noticed before that it seemed to be getting
harder to find decent players.  I had a Creative one that worked great
(only for MP3 files unfortunately, but with MP3, all you had to do was
dump in the files with any system on any computer and it worked), but
when I got a newer Creative player, you could only load in files with
some buggy non-free software that came with it.  Now that player has
died, I need to get something else.

I had a couple of Cowon players that worked great for a short while
(played ogg files as well), but had many technical problems and died
after not very long lives.

Also had a... Sirin? (sp?) player that died early and another one that
I gave away (works like my old Creative player; well, but only with
MP3 files).

If I find a good player - I'll mention it.  Please do the same on your end!

Lyle