Re: [tlug] Ubuntu on just 256 MB?

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Jean-Christian Imbeault
<jc.imbeault@example.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I've just realized that the netbook is a 2004 model and has only 256
> MB of memory (http://www.vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/VGN-T70B/). Since it
> had Windows XP on it I was assuming that Ubuntu should run without any
> issues but was I wrong? Are there any setting I should be looking at
> to make it more responsive?
>
> Or does someone recommend a distro other than Ubuntu for such a low
> spec netbook?

Either you try to get your hand on an older distribution (do not
forget - XP is already 9 years old) or try to run something like
Xubuntu.
You want to have some lightweitght window manager like XFce. I guess
that this is one of the better options (it's quite easy to use, setup
is fast and doesn't need lots of ressources). And at last: search for
software that aren't ressource hogs depending on the needs of the
user. Why use Thunderbird when you can use Sylpheed for example. And
autostart only stuff you really need.
In addition I would go out and search for some old RAM. Even with this
machine it shouldn't be hard to exchange/add some RAM to get at least
to 512MB. I bet you can even get 1GB into that machine for not that
much money.

Niels