Re: [tlug] Laptop repair

Jep wrote:

"To mess with laptop hardware, one needs patience.  Hidden plastic
latches are a bane of working on laptops. It can be difficult to
release those without damaging them. Disassembly instructions found on
the web are very very helpful."

Add to that that laptop screens are not typically designed with
user-replacement in mind, so it's not a straightforward procedure (at
least it certainly wasn't with the Toshiba I worked on!).

Re: "Screws are very welcome.  If you become frustrated while working
on a laptop, stop and do something else. It's the patience thing."

Yes - patience is always a vital part of intricate surgery!  I have
been guilty of a lack of it at times!  In my defense regarding the
Toshiba laptop that I mentioned, it was not a vital machine, so my
time (beyond a certain point) was more important to me than (at any
cost) getting it fixed.

Screws are welcome?  I'm not sure what you mean - I presume that
you're saying it's best to remove them?  Naturally!  Sometimes though,
by removing too many, complicated assemblies come to pieces!  Oh!
Maybe that's what you meant?  That's it's best to leave most screws in
place and be careful to only remove the ones specific to the part you
want to remove?  Both would be valid depending on the design (I've run
afoul of screws on both sides of that equation!).

Lyle