Re: [tlug] Laptop repair

On 2010/09/21, at 18:30, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> Jawaad Mahmood writes:
>
>> (That's what it cost me when a friend's cat destroyed my NEC
>> Laptop monitor)
>
> NEC parts have historically been expensive (because they've been the
> preferred supplier to Kasumigaseki, among other things).  It's like
> maintaining a BMW (but getting Fiat quality, not all that bad, but not
> what you're paying for :-).

Far be it from me to stick up for no-innovation NEC but...

To be honest, it is a better pc than my Dell XPS or the Mac pro I had at work, (and suffice to say, much better than my sluggish 64 gig 3G iPad).  It's best form factor decision (light weight) makes it almost perfect - and a DVD drive to boot.

I almost prefer it to my desktop.  Unfortunately the brightness controls just don't work in ubuntu; the three hours I got on vista are merely two on ubuntu.

I honestly can't think of another computer I'd prefer, other than maybe a toughbook if I was hiking. (do they even make those anymore?)