Re: [tlug] dedicated server hosting in Japan?

 On 9/15/2010 11:48 AM, scott wrote:
Basically I just want to replicate what I have at home (standard LAMP
with mail, ipsec VPN, run some forums and host some photos of the kids
for the family back home. Oh and maybe someday create something better
than facebook using elgg ;-)

Those services don't sound mission critical. Have you considered keeping your existing server and ISP, dropping the static IP, and using a DNS service with support for dynamic updating? These are name services similar to no-ip or dyndns but using your own domains. I have this setup for my blog and other narcissistic sites of mine. There will of course be some downtime but it's hardly noticeable if your IP rarely changes, IP check script runs frequently, and DNS TTL is set low.

Everydns was the most popular service but they've recently been acquired by Dyn inc. and it looks like only grandfathered accounts will continue to be free. There are a number of free alternatives which you can find here: http://everydnscommunity.stackexchange.com/questions/30/what-are-the-everydns-free-alternatives

--Kyle