[tlug] cygwin then cmd.exe over SSH

Any cygwin users here? We're having problems with different behaviour if
I log in via ssh and run a command (fails). But if I log in with remote
desktop, start a cygwin shell there, and run the command it works.

What is curious is that the command I'm trying to run is in the dos
shell, i.e. I'm first typing cmd.exe inside the cygwin shell. So cmd.exe
behaves different if the cygwin that started it is an ssh connection,
rather than a local one.
Network shares assigned to a drive letter are also different: they
appear in the remote desktop cygwin, but are not visible when logging in
from ssh.

(I'm asking here as I cannot seem to find the right keywords for google
to tell me anything helpful. The closest I found was a similar problem
that was apparently fixed by logging into ssh with public key instead of
password; but I'm already using password login.)

TIA,
Darren

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)